The Original Platino Cleancut

• I bought many of these a few years ago  and if you ever get the opportunity to try them for your self  jump at the chance. They the orginals that they used to make but for some reason they had to stop making them. Robert would know the full story 

• Shapings.com
    Shapings.com
    Shapings Admin

Here is the story about the "original" Cleancut.  Back in 2010 Platino had sent us their new samples of hosiery they were planning on producing and one of the sample envelopes housed this wonderful, never seen before yarn with a waistband that was non existant.  It was a very enlightening experience when I first seen them stretched on a leg.   

Back then, Platino did not produce their hosiery.  The parent company Dusen owned the factory and they were the ones who delveloped that yarn under the Platino brand.   

Well, around 2014, Dusen was shutting their doors because of the economic state in Spain for manufacturing and thus, the Cleancut lost it's maker and Platino had noone to make their products again, especially the Cleancut, the recipe and machines were gone.   I became very good friends with the export manager of Platino and he went out and purchased over 4000 pair back from the large department store El Corte Inglés as they were having difficulty selling the Cleancut in the Spanish market.  

We sold out in a matter of weeks.   Some were sorted out as seconds but people still purchased them.    We still have a couple in our special drawer for keep sake.  

Seeing that there was a need for this special glossy, mirror finish yarn to encase legs, I basically pleaded with CdR to try to replicate the Cleancut and what you see due to the result of that pressure, is the Eterno 15's.  I have a photo of the lunch that I was having in Italy with the technician and product manager of CdR discussing this new hose and what name to call it.  That afternoon we came up with Eterno, after a few plates of pasta and some espresso and of course some Grappa. 

The Cleancut you see now and purchase is a new development from Platino.  It's very nice, glossy, clingy, no waistband but it is not like the "original".    If you want the original, there may be some out there but beware if you do choose to buy them from someone claiming they are the original, have them take them from the package and email me that photo, I will tell you straight up. 

In conclusion, if you want the look and feel of the original Cleancut, you will find it in the Eterno 15's. 

I hope I wasn't too long winded here. 

Robert 

• @Robert Safko Thanks for the information. With production coming to a halt on Eterno 15s, now would be a good time to add a few extra pairs to my collection before its too late.

• It's been a while since I've come to the forums but thanks for the interesting story.  I was lucky enough to like REALLY stock up on the original Cleancuts thanks to Shapings.  Out of several hundred pairs I bought here, sadly I probably only have about 70 or so left - and they are like gold to me now!  I can't believe "recipe" is gone for good - much like all the vintage hosiery from 50-80 years ago.